Scholarships AbroadStudy AbroadWork Abroad

How to Get Study and Work Permit in Canada

Study and work permit process in Canada: One of the major advantages of traveling to study in Canada is that you can be working to earn a living and pay your way through school while doing that. While it is a good prospect, it is also necessary that you know the process before you venture into it.

There are several ways international students to be granted a permit to work in Canada while studying.

Work and study permit process in Canada

Method 1: As a Co-op Student or Intern

You can start your application by searching and applying for a course that includes work experience as part of your curriculum. Once you get that, you can then apply for a co-op or intern work permit if:

  • you have a valid study permit
  • you must work as a requirement to complete your study program in Canada
  • you have a letter from your school indicating that all students in your program must complete work placements towards their degree
  • your co-op placement/internship totals 50% or less of your study program

While you are at it, you must know that you will be deemed ineligible for a co-op work permit if:

  • You want to English or French as a second language
  • You are enrolling in a general interest course or
  • You want to take courses to apply for another study program

Now, how do you apply for this co-op work permit?

You can apply for your co-op work permit at the same time you are applying for your study permit.

All you need do is to ensure that your acceptance letter from your designated learning institution must indicate that a co-op or internship placement is part of your program’s curriculum.

Method 2: Work off-campus as an international student 

To work off-campus as an international student, you must meet certain requirements otherwise you might have to leave Canada.

You can work off-campus without a work permit if:

  • You are enrolled as a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • You are enrolled in
    • a post-secondary academic, vocational/professional program or
    • a secondary-level vocational program (Quebec only)
  • your study program
    • must be at least 6 months long and
    • is towards a degree, diploma, or certificate
  • you have commenced studying
  • you possess a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
Work Permit in Canada

In all these, your study permit determines whether you are permitted to work in Canada. It also states the conditions of such employment. This enables you to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada. You should note that the SIN is a key requirement and you must have processed this before you can begin working during your study in Canada.

Before you embark on your working while studying in Canada process, there are some important things to note:

  • You can not work in Canada before the start of your study program; you can only start working when your study program has started.
  • You can work for 20 hours per week during regular school terms/semesters
  • You can work full-time if you are on a scheduled break

You cannot work in Canada unless authorized if

  • your study program is less than six months in duration,
  • you are enrolled in English as a Second Language (ESL) or French as a Second Language (FSL) program.
  • You are a visiting or exchange students at a DLI

While you must supply sufficient evidence that you can pay for your tuition and living expenses before you arrive in Canada, rest assured that it will be worth it at the end.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.